Obituaries o-a001, Clark County IL

ADAMS, Mason
Clark County Herald
Mr. Adams was born in 1822, in Loudon County, Virginia, where he lived to years of maturity and was married to Miss Armenia Hutchinson.   In 1855 he moved to Illinois and settled on the farm which has since been his home.   An upright, honest man, an active earnest Christian, having been a faithful member of the M.E. Church for thirty-five years, he was honored and respected by all who knew him.
Some time last winter, he was injured by the upsetting of his sleigh, his head striking against a stone as he was thrown to the ground.   He never recovered from this mishap and some time since a complication of other diseases set in and about two weeks since it became evident to his friends that his end was near.   On Monday of last week he quietly breathed his last, about four o’clock P.M.   He leaves a wife and six grown children and numerous other friends and relatives to mourn his loss.   He lived to see all his children settled in life and all living lives of usefulness, an honor to the father who gave them so bright an example of virtue and purity and with the assistance of his noble helpmeet, trained their feet to ways of peacefulness and truth.   Mr. Adams will be strongly missed in the community of which he was so long a useful member.   The testimony of all is “A noble man was gone to his reward”.

John W. Adkisson  
Husband of Florence Crandall Adkisson
B:  2 Jan 1909
D:  22 June 1998
Buried: Cumberland Cemetery, Casey, Illinois

Clark County Herald
March 21, 1901
John Allen was born in Terre Haute Sept 30, 1875, and died at the home of his father-in-law, Peter Growl, last Thursday evening at 9:30 o’clock of consumption.   On August 19, 1899, at Racine, Wisconsin, he married Miss. Rose Growl.   A child was born to them and it and the mother survive him.   A few days before Christmas, Mr. and Mrs. Allen came here from Racine, his health having begun to fall.   After a few weeks rest, he went over the Terre Haute to work.   He held up as long as he could but finally, about 8 weeks ago, he could work no longer so had to come back to Marshall.   He sank rapidly and death soon came to and his suffering.
The funeral services were held last Saturday, Elder John Sweet officiating.

Lois Rose Anderton (nee Baker)
Wife of Thomas Anderton
B:  20 Jul 1899
D:  18 Dec 1978

ANDERTON, Thomas Lingard
Thomas Lingard Anderton
Husband of Lois Rose Baker
B:  4 Feb 1902  in Boston, Suffolk Co.,
D:  9 Oct 1980  in Albuquerque, Bernillo Co.,
New Mexico
Parents:  Thomas and Mary (Ball) Anderton

from 20 July 1904
Clark County (IL) Herald
Burns Archer, for many years one of the foremost citizens of Marshall, and Clark County, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Gus Markal, in Danville, last Wednesday night.  He had been ailing for three or four years and during the past few months failed very rapidly.  The body was brought to Marshall on Friday and was taken to the Congregational church, where services were held, Rev. Murray in charge.  The Masonic order had charge of the services at the grave.
Burns Archer was born in York township, this county, three miles south of Darwin, on July 25, 1829.  He was a son of Stephen and Nancy (Shaw) Archer, who came to the county in 1817.  The years of his early manhood were spent as clerk for Booth and Greenough and afterward for Lynn and Reed, whom he bought out.  He ran the business but one year, then closed it out.  This was in 1862.  Between the intervals of clerking, he taught in the public schools.  Soon after closing out his business, he became cashier for Quartermaster Uri Manly in the service of the Union armies and when his chief died, late in '64, he settled up his official affairs in a manner highly commended by his superiors.  In January 1873, at a special election, he was eleced county treasurere and served continuously for nine years in that position.  Later he was employed as deputy treasurer and his work was always performed withthe most scrupulous fidelyity.  In 1895 Mr. Archer moved to Danville to be with his only daughter and the remainder of his days were spent in that city.
Mr. Archer was twice married.  His first wife was Miss Maria Drake.  He married her in Marshall on Nov. 6, 1851, and she died on July 27, 1855.  Three children were born to them--Edgar and Emma, twins, and Cora.  Edgar and Cora died in infancy.  Emma grew to womanhood, married Gus Markal and is still living, in Danville.  In 1859 Mr. Archer married Mrs. Eleanor Emmerson of Ohio.  She died in Danville about 12 or 15 years ago.
Burns Archer was one of nature's noblemen.  Of a deeply religious nature, he was always foremost in good works and his life was a shining example of the reality of the religion of Jesus Christ.  For 20 years he was the superintendent of the Congregational Sunday School and it was largely through his efforts that the school prospered and did noble work for the Master during those years.  He was a quiet disposition, never making the least display of his many good deeds.  The church and Sunday School were always first in his thoughts and ever received his loyal support.  Burns Archer was that noblest work of God, an honest Christian man.


Marshall Herald
John M. Archer died at his home in this city Saturday night, after a long illness, from troubles incident to advanced age. Funeral services were held from the family residence Monday, conducted by Rev. E.G. Sandmeyer.   The Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias participated in the services at the cemetery.
He was the son of Jesse and Jane Archer and was born in York Township, February 7, 1834.   When six years old his parents moved to Grand Turn, South of Marshall, where he grew to manhood.   He had slight educational advantages, but at the age of 19 began the carpenter’s trade, to obtain money with which to educate himself.   In his early part of life he visited many parts of the country, and at the breaking out of the civil war was in Texas.   There he enlisted in the 15TH TEXAS (CONFEDERATE) CAVALRY and was soon promoted to the rank of lieutenant.   He fought in several battles, chiefly Pea Ridge, Stone River, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and Ringgold, Georgia.   At the latter place, he was captured Nov 27, 1863, and on Dec 7 was imprisoned in the Union Prison Johnson’s Island, near Detroit, from which he was discharged June 12, 1865.  He immediately returned to Marshall, where on August 8, 1865, he married Miss Maria Smith, of Ohio, who died June 23, 1890.   To them were born three children:   Ernest, who died in Marshall several years ago.   Cora L. (Mark) of Minnesota and Grace G. (Davis) of Marshall.
He followed the business of contracting and building until his strength failed a few years ago.   He was held in high esteem by the citizens of Marshall, whom he represented on the city council for 20 years and also served several terms as a member of the Board of Education.
October 19, 1893, he married Mrs. Ardelia Balsley. Of this city, who survives.   He had been a faithful member of the Odd Fellows Lodge since February 17, 1878, also a member of Knights of Pythias Lodge.   Politically, he affiliated with the republican party.   He was not a member of any church but a regular attendee at the M.E. Church.   For several years he had been in feeble health and for the past several months was confined to his home in a almost helpless condition.
He was intensely patriotic and often expressed his thankfulness that the civil war ended as it did.   On April 2, 1881, he was commissioned by Gov. Cullom as captain of COMPANY A, ILLINOIS NATIONAL GUARD, and he was an honorary member of the local Grand Army Post.
His was a wonderful life, lived during a tragic time in the nation’s history.   What a tribute to the patriotism and manhood of this nation is this example of a Confederate soldier glorying in the fact that the Union cause was victorious.   While attending the funeral of Edward Madison a few months ago, the writer saw a touching proof of the patriotism of the Old Confederate Soldier. The G.A.R. members marched up to the house with the flag at the head of the column.   Mr. Archer had been assisted to a place at the window where he could see the old soldiers marching in.   He asked to have the flag brought to his window and when it was presented he gave a feeble salute, with tears streaming from his eyes.   He lived to hear the call of the nation in 1898, and to see the sons of those who wore the blue and those who wore the gray fight side by side with Dewey at Manila, and storm the heights of Santiago:  to see the blood of North and South mingle in a common cause of the soil of Cuba and the last race of sectional feeling disappear in the smoke of conflict, leaving Mason and Dixon’s line as the red scar of honor across the breast of the Republic.
His passing is a loss, not only to his family, but to his community, and reminds us once more of the evacuation of the world by the armies of Grant and Lee.   He will be missed by a host of friends and by his brothers in the lodges to which he belonged.   May he sleep secure in the promise of the dawn of a never ending day.
ARCHER, Stephen
Marshall Weekly Messenger
Judge Stephen Archer died in this city on Monday, July 18, 1887.   He was one of the old settlers of this county, and had done as much to assist in building up marshal, probably as any other man who ever resided in the county.   For the last few years it was known to his children and friends that he was fast failing and his mind had become so impaired that he did not recognize his most intimate friends.   Stephen Archer was born Dec 19, 1806, in warren county, Ohio, and came to Clark County, IL, in the year 1817.   He settled about three miles below Darwin where he lived until 1837, when he lived in Marshall and lived until his death.   He was married to Agnes Shaw, Feb 21, 1828.   She died Aug 25, 1868.  He again married Oct 9, 1873, to Mrs. Ruannah Thompson who now survives him.   He left the following sons and daughters: Burns Archer, now living at Danville, IL; William Archer, at Orlando, Florida; Clay Archer, his where a bouts not known; Mrs. Sarah J. Vance, Idaho Territory;  Mrs. Mary Miller, Marshall; and Mrs. Lizzie Day, Terre Haute, Indiana.   The deceased has been a resident of Clark County for seventy years and of marshal for fifty years.   For a number of years, he was Judge of the county and held numerous other offices.   He leaves two aged sisters—Mrs. Betsy Hogue of this city and Mrs. Hannah Crane of Terre Haute.   His funeral occurred from the residence of his son-in-law Frank Miller in this city on Tuesday last at 2 o’clock.  He was laid to rest in Marshall Cemetery.

ARCHER, Samuel
Samuel Archer, brother of Stephen Archer, of this county, died on Tuesday last, aged 68 years.   The deceased had many relatives and friends in this county, who deeply mourned his loss.   He was formerly a citizen of this county, but for many years has been a resident of Terre Haute, where, by hard work he had amassed considerable property.   He leaves a family of grown up children.

ARNEY, Harold C. 
Harold C. Arney, born 28 November 1902, died 27 August 1979
Funeral Wednesday, August 29, 1979, burial at Island Grove Cemetery.

Lena Artman, died November 1978, aged 80.  Her husband, Andrew Edward Artman, died in 1942.  She is survived by two Sons, Doyle and Reid Artman both of Annapolis.

Obituary Index
Return to Clark County, Illinois Homepage

All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of individuals engaged in researching their personal genealogy.
Any other non commercial use requires prior written permission.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.

© 1996-2017 ILGenWeb. All rights reserved.